JUDGING WINES IN CONJUCTION WITH APPROPRIATE FOOD|
Pinot Noir Wines
were judged with POT ROAST GUINEA FOWL WITH CABBAGE AND BACON
As presented by Celebrity Chef MICHAEL MANNERS
Click on Image to enlarge
1 Large or 2 smaller (800/900g) Guinea Fowls
100g Bacon or Speck diced
500mls Chicken Stock
150mls White Wine
10 Juniper Berries
1 Small Savoy Cabbage cut into 4
1 Celery Stalk diced
1 Carrot diced
1 Onion diced
Baby new Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- Prepare the Fowls. Remove the neck and wings. Cut out the back bone.
- Brown the trimmings and add to the chicken stock to add flavour.
- Add thyme, Bay Leaf and Parsley Stalks. Simmer and reduce for at least one hour
- Strain and set aside.
- Season the fowl with salt and pepper then brown on all sides in a large flameproof casserole with a little butter. Remove the fowl.
- Add the diced bacon to the casserole and sautee for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the diced Carrot, Onion and Celery. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Lay the cabbage on top of the vegetable mixture. Add the juniper berries and the stock.
- Return the fowl into the casserole on top of the cabbage.
- Cover tightly and roast for about 45 minutes or until the bird is cooked through but not dry.
- Cut the Guinea Fowl into quarters,
- Place a quarter of the cabbage onto each plate.
- Sit the ¼ of Guinea Fowl on top of the cabbage.
- Spoon the vegetables from the casserole and the sauce over and around the bird.
- Sprinkle with chopped Parsley and serve with steamed baby potatoes.
Click to review previous Chefs’ food recipes for this Category of Wines.
Printer friendly version.View the Pinot Noir Wines list.