JUDGING WINES IN CONJUCTION WITH APPROPRIATE FOOD|
Lighter Bodied Dry Red Wines
were judged with BOILED PORK BELLY WITH SEASONAL VEGETABLES AND A LIGHT BOUILLON
As presented by Celebrity Chef MICHAEL MANNERS
Click on Image to enlarge
1.5KG Pork Belly, Skin on
Salt and Pepper
For the Stock
2 large Onions quartered
1 Leek cut into small pieces
2 Carrots chopped into small pieces
2 Celery Sticks diced
1 Head of Garlic cut in half
20 crushed black Peppercorns
4 Star Anise
8 Sprigs of Thyme
4 Bay Leaves
A few Parsley StalksVegetables: Turnip, Swede, Carrot, Potato, Parsnip, Zucchini etc..(Your Choice)
METHOD 48 hours before
24 hours before
- Season the Pork with the Salt, Pepper, Bay Leaf and Thyme. Cover and refrigerate.
- Wash and dry the Pork Belly.
- Place the pork in a saucepan with the stock vegetables and seasoning. Cover with cold water.
- Bring slowly to the boil, skim and cook on a very low simmer (90 degrees) for about 2 hours.
- Allow the pork to cool in the cooking liquid.
- Remove the pork and strain the stock. Keep warm.
- Prepare the vegetables:
- Cut into equal sizes, rectangles or barrel shapes (turned) about 2” long and 1” thick.
- Cook each variety in turn in boiling salted water – plunging into iced water when barely cooked – to set the colour and stop the cooking.
- Reheat the pork for 5 to 6 minutes and the vegetables for about 1 to 2 minutes in the stock.
- Strain the stock again through a cheese cloth.
- Cut the belly pork into serving portions. (If prepared in advance, leave the pork belly in the strained liquid to keep it moist.
- Serve the Belly Pork in large bowls, the Pork in the middle, the vegetables around it.
- Spoon the stock over it with chopped Parsley added at the last moment.
- You can caramelise the skin of the pork by laying the belly skin side down in a frying pan, colouring and crisping the skin, being careful not to burn it.
- Mustard or horseradish can be served with this dish, but I feel it takes away its delicate flavours.
Click to review previous Chefs’ food recipes for this Category of Wines.
Printer friendly version.View the Lighter Bodied Dry Red Wines list.